Barack Obama endorses Hillary Clinton as Democratic nominee for US President in landmark intervention

Eight years after his own battle with Mrs Clinton, the President broke his silence only after she won enough support for the nomination



Barack Obama has endorsed Democrat Hillary Clinton in a landmark intervention in her race to be US President.

Eight years after his own battle with Mrs Clinton for the White House, the President threw his weight behind her only after she won enough support to be named the presumptive nominee and face Republican Donald Trump.

Her left-wing rival Bernie Sanders has already vowed to fight on, telling backers on Tuesday night: "Thank you all! The struggle continues!"

But his chances look bleaker tonight after President Obama finally broke his silence on who he would officially endorse.

Mrs Clinton thanked him on Twitter, writing: "Honoured to have you with me. I'm fired up and ready to go!"

Democratic presidential candidate Senator Bernie Sanders speaks to supporters at an election-night rally in Santa Monica, California
Bernie Sanders has already vowed to fight on

In a video on Mrs Clinton's YouTube channel, thought to have been filmed on Tuesday, the current President declares: "I want to congratulate Hillary Clinton on making history.

"I know how hard this job can be. That's why I know Hillary will be so good at it.

"In fact, I don't think there's ever been someone so qualified to hold this office.

"She's got the courage, the compassion and the heart to get the job done, and I say that as someone who had to debate her more than 20 times."

He added that "even after our hard fought campaign" in 2008 she went on to "serve our country" as Secretary of State.

President Obama said: "I have seen her judgement, I've seen her toughness, I've seen her commitment to our values up close.
 
Mrs Clinton fought President Obama in the Democratic race in 2008

"I am with her, I am fired up and I cannot wait to get out there and campaign for Hillary.

"I know some have said these primaries have left the Democratic party more divided. Well, they said that eight years ago as well."

President Obama said 74-year-old Mr Sanders had run an "incredible campaign" which encouraged millions of young Americans to vote for the first time.

He added: ""I thank him for shining a spotlight on issues like economic inequality and the outsize influence of money in our politics.

"Embracing that message is going to help us win in November. It's going to make the Democratic party stronger and it'll make America stronger."

Credit: Mirror UK
#Team_NIS

Comments